Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wow... the big city.

It's been a while! I think Los Angeles makes time go faster. Seriously. I can't believe I've already been here a week! And I haven't made one dime! In fact... I've spent quite a few dimes instead. Hopefully that'll change soon. Actually, it has to, or I'll be coming home much sooner than I would like.

Hmmm. How to sum up this past week... overwhelming? I think that'd be an appropriate word. Overwhelmingly crowded/ huge/ difficult/ emotional/ fast-paced/ exciting/ interesting/ humbling/ etc. I think I've gone through more emotions this week than I've gone through in a long, long time. I've had to remind myself 100 times that the Lord brought me out here, so I'm supposed to be out here. That He's in control and is completely sovereign in this situation. That He's going to take care of me as long as I follow and stay grounded in Him.


Dwight was so great in helping me adjust to the city. He helped me get furniture for my room, encouraged me when I got overwhelmed, and accompanied me to all the cliche LA sites. With the help of our incredible friend from Samford, Danielle Broom, who lives out here, we visited the Kodak Theater, Chinese Theater (As the picture shows, my hands and feet are the same size as Mr. Brad Pitt's. Booya), hiked up near the HOLLYWOOD sign, went to Pinkberry and In-And-Out Burger, Beverly Hills, etc. It really was fun to see all of the places you've grown up hearing about. Dwight and I kept on having the realization that we were in Los Angeles, and we would just laugh. It was bizarre. Still is.

We had our first celebrity citing while we were walking down Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. Right there on the sidewalk in front of us was Elizabeth Berkley (also known as Jessie Spannow from Saved By The Bell). It was awesome. We actually saw her again at a cafe. She sat right in the front window probably hoping someone would see her. No one did... except us. Apparently Saved By The Bell isn't a big deal in today's society. Sad, huh?

The HOLLYWOOD sign was fun to see. I was sad that you can no longer go right up to the sign, though. Apparently an actress hung herself from one of the "O's" a while ago, and they don't let people near the sign anymore. Sorry for the downer. Oh! And did you know the sign used to say "HOLLYWOODLAND?" I'm still not sure why they took the "LAND" part down, but I guess that was a little long. I wonder where those letters are...

The reality that I was now living in LA slowly sank in throughout the week. I still think it's sinking in and will continue to, and I'll have to remind myself that the Lord brought me out here. He's teaching me something, for sure. A big part is just to completely trust Him. The whole entertainment business here in Los Angeles has been really eye-opening. I'm going to have to trust the Lord more than I've ever had to before regarding where He's leading me. It's a rough business. Very rough. I have to maintain faith that Christ is able to use Christians and impact lives in a field that is extremely opposed to Christianity. He's so much bigger than anything here, and I have to remember that.

Please continue to pray that the Lord will lead me where He desires, and that He'll provide for me emotionally, relationally, and financially. I'm so excited to see what He teaches me in this time of uncertainty. He's so good.

Below are some pictures from our time spent in Malibu. We went there last Thursday to meet our friends Jeremiah and Sarah Wolf Sizemore who are driving their RV all around the country. It was so good to see them and just spend some time relaxing with friends I love. It helps to be in a place like Malibu, too. Such a beautiful place. The last picture is from the Santa Monica pier. I want to go back there when the weather is better and the rides are open.




Appreciating your prayers and encouragement,
Robby

2 comments:

Courtnay said...

love your blog Robby!

Vikings... Mean Ones. said...

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoy my rambling. Haha!