Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Self-Pity

I am reading this great book right now (The Dangerous Duty of Delight...by John Piper) and one part I read this morning was about self-pity. It was talking about how both boasting and self-pity are simply manifestations of pride in our lives. One comes from our successes (boasting) and the other from our suffering (self-pity). It says -

"The reason self-pity does not look like pride is that it appears to be needy. But the need arises from a wounded ego. It doesn't come from a sense of unworthiness, but from a sense of unrecognized worthiness. It is the response of unapplauded pride."

I just needed to hear the idea that even at my most pitiful, self-centered and pathetic moments, it is still just pride coming to the surface when I feel as though I am not getting the respect and appreciation I deserve.

Just thought that was interesting.

- j(w)s

No comments: