Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Barack Obam-bam

So I was having breakfast with Ben at Panera yesterday (my third straight day eating breakfast at Panera) and he mentioned that Barack was speaking in town that night. It was ironic since the night before, me and Deet had both decided that we hated politics and the whole thing was a joke and we weren't going to vote/care anymore. But I decided to give it one last chance so me and Tommy and Sarah all went.

Basically, it was not exciting. I was honestly very disappointed in the whole thing. I guess the point of it was to be a rally, but i was hoping for at least a little intelligent conversation. There was none. Besides the fact that I was unimpressed (which just isn't a big deal), I was also shocked at how much his image has changed since I first heard about him a few years ago. I had no idea he would be so divisive and critical. Especially if you consider that this was during the Democratic Primary, his entire train of thought just made no sense to me. If any Democratic candidate hopes to separate himself from the crowd, criticizing George W will not help. The least original thing you can possibly do in politics these days is criticize George Bush and doing so will only alienate the 51% of the country who voted for him last time while contributing nothing to the Democratic base who is already deciding between people who hate Bush.

So anyways, I was disappointed. The $25 wasn't a big deal because in return I will probably save about 100 hours over the next year by not caring about the elections.

That's all I've got.

- j(w)s

No comments: