Saturday, December 12, 2009

Mr. Stone

During my time in Huntsville, I've had the opportunity to substitute teach at a couple of high schools around the city. I began doing this because I wanted to see if teaching would be a good career path for me. If the education system wasn't so screwed up and teachers didn't have their hands constantly tied with paperwork, regulations, red tape, and inadequate discipline measures I might actually consider doing it. Sadly, the public education system is a disaster, and teachers can hardly do their jobs much less make it enjoyable. Alright. I'm done with my speech.

I really do love working with students and attempting to make school and learning fun for them. Unfortunately, so many kids don't want to learn and think it's unimportant, but I'm not gonna get on the subject of the current generation either because it's also depressing. Some kids are great. Some kids you want to kill. Thats it for now.

Here's the fun stuff... I filled in at Lee High School earlier this semester for boys P.E., and it was by far the most frustrating but hilarious experience with subbing that I've had. Imagine 12-25 high school guys who range from thug to awkward white kid (mostly semi-thugs) and a substitute teacher who has, over the course of 6 or so days, become lovingly referred to as simply "Coach." What did I coach? Nothing. How awesome is it that they called me "Coach?" Extremely. My main job ended up being to keep the guys who were actually in P.E. to stay in the gym and those who were just skipping class to stay out of the gym. It was pretty much like herding cats all day.

We were supposed to play basketball which usually turned into dodgeball using basketballs. Really safe. I probably should have stopped it, but honestly it was too hilarious to stop. I just prayed for the bell to hurry up and ring when those games began. The main story I'm trying to get to involves the 7th period class I covered with two other teachers (one being an asian) called "Lock Out" where students who are late to class are sent. It's supposed to be a sort of detention where students are forbid to talk and must silently work on school work. Yeah right. Cause thats gonna happen with high schoolers. And why are we sending the troubled kids who need to be in class the most to some room where no learning takes place? I don't get it.

One day a large group of people were sent to Lock Out, and I watched as they all poured into the room. I can't describe everything that went on, but there was this one guy who was continually talking and was called out by the asian teacher I mentioned. They fought back and forth about something and at one point he says "what? What are you saying? I can't understand you! I can't understand you, Sesame Chicken!" Yes. Thats right. He called her "Sesame Chicken." Now, I'm a substitute and am therefore not exactly allowed to burst out laughing with all the other students at this horribly offensive comment. What makes matters worse is that I was sitting in the front of the room facing all the students, and I had to fight back even a smile. It was torture. I'm not nearly far enough removed from the high school days to not think the situation is hilarious.

I have no doubt that there are plenty of stories like this out there from various teachers, but I'm just so glad I got to experience it first-hand. It really is always exciting in the public school system. I just wish it weren't made such a disaster by the government and central office.

Cause I love real sesame chicken, not "Sesame Chicken,"
Robby

1 comment:

katlin said...

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, I literally laughed out loud at this! If I would have been there with you, it would have been over!