Friday, April 3, 2009

I've left you for too long. I apologize.

It's been over a week since my last post! Whoa! And I really haven't even been that busy during the days lately. I guess I just didn't really feel like there was much to write, so I've waited a while to gather up some good stuff so I don't seem so useless out here. Just kidding... kind of.

When we left, I had an MTV shoot the next day. It was awesome! Not because I had to wear a gymnastics uniform (complete with extremely short, white shorts and tight tank top), however, who doesn't want to wear that occasionally? It's so attractive. No, it was awesome because the two stars of the shoot were Cuba Gooding, Jr. and Andy Sanberg! Andy is one of my favorite comedians ever (he's from SNL) and Cuba is just cool. It was a shoot for the upcoming MTV Movie Awards which I'm pretty sure will air on May 30th or 31st. I don't know, but it was hilarious! They were filming a gymnastics scene where Andy is apparently competing in the Olympics in the 80s and Cuba is his dad/coach (yes... Andy is white and Cuba is black. Thats part of the joke). Anyway, it should be pretty funny. They both seemed like nice guys, though Andy was more friendly for sure. Cuba didn't really acknowledge us, but Andy came around to say hello to everyone. Guess I know who's not getting an invite to my Christmas party this year. This guy:



Nice ride, Cuba.

After filming wrapped on Friday, I went to meet some friends for dinner and then went to see the movie "Knowing" for $13 at the Grove Theater. No. I didn't mistype that. It was $13. And, no... I will not be going to anymore movies in LA. Especially ones that have horrible acting and endings. Thanks Nicholas Cage. You're a cinematic genius.

Hmmm... I can't remember what I did Saturday. Obviously it was thrilling.

Sunday I went back to Grace Community Church, and while I really enjoy the friendly and solid people there, I'm just not sure I can take their stiff, formal worship. I think Reality LA is the church for me. I'll be going there this Sunday.

On Monday, my friend Phil (who moved to Birmingham from Australia right before I moved out here) came to visit. It was so good to see a Birmingham face, and we had a good time seeing all the hot spots in LA. The coolest thing we did was hike up behind the "HOLLYWOOD" sign. And by hike I mean we walked up a paved road. Granted, the road is really small and winds up the mountain, so it's not as lame as I'm making it sound. It was so beautiful when we reached the top of the hill because you could see both the south and north sides of LA (the city and the valley). All both of us could think about was how incredible the view would have been if there weren't any smog... and how our lungs were being filled with that delicious smog. After the hike, we went back to my apartment where we made spaghetti and watched "Australia." Yes, thats right. I watched "Australia" with a true Australian. Jealous? It was a pretty good movie, but it tried a bit too hard. Entertaining, though.

Tuesday, Phil and I went to Santa Monica and sat on the pier for a while people watching. Always entertaining. He had to head back to Riverside after that, so I spent a good bit of the rest of that day homesick and worrying about the fact that I didn't have any work lined up. That night I went to a concert with my friend Danielle, so that was a good distraction.

Wednesday I spent the first half of the day worrying about life. Then I drove half-way to Disneyland for an audition to work at the park but turned around and went home when I realized I would hate my life if I had to make that 40 mile drive even once a week... much less multiple times. Submitted myself for roles online, and then went to a senior voice recital with my friend Aubrey which was funny (though I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be). The students were actually very good, I was just in one of my moods where I'll make random comments under my breath to break the seriousness of the situation. Oops.

Yesterday I was inspired to prepare mail-outs to send to various agents in the city in hopes that they would want to meet with me to represent me, so I spent the majority of the day doing that. I also had an audition in the afternoon to act out cartoons. Pretty cool concept. The animators watch the recorded actors perform the scenes and then make the illustrations off of the movement of the actors. I didn't get the part, but its always good to gain some audition experience. Still getting used to dealing with rejection, though. Never fun. Last night I went to another indie concert with Danielle at the Renaissance Hotel in Hollywood. The most exciting part of the night was seeing two of the American Idol contestants (Alexis Grace and Matt Giraud). I actually talked to them for a bit. Alexis seemed a bit awkward, and Matt wasn't very warm either. Guess they're still getting used to fame. If I ever get to celebrity status, I hope I'm still nice to random people. I love people. Surely I'll be nice.

So, obviously this week has been... interesting. I feel like the Lord is definitely teaching me to find my joy in Him alone and trust that He'll provide even when it seems like things are going nowhere and I'm not sure what to do. Sitting around and worrying is just stupid, and I hate that I waste time doing it. I really do need to enjoy every single part of this awkward, terrifying, amazing experience and draw closer to Christ! I hate that I so easily forget His goodness and worry about dumb things that He is completely capable of taking care of! Do I have the faith to trust Him fully? I pray He gives me that kind of faith. I need it.

I'm hoping to finish up these mail-outs today and then I'm so excited about tonight because I'm finally gonna get some good time to hang out with a solid, Christian dude... the one and only Brian Willet. I just need some good guy time, you know? We'll be watching Mystery Science Theater tonight, and I'm pumped because I used to love that show but haven't watched it in forever.

Please continue to keep me in your prayers! Homesickness and insecurity have definitely started to show their ugly faces, so pray that the Lord will give me comfort and strength to resist self-defeating thoughts. Alright. I'm out.

Robby

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Robby, I know you have no idea who I am, but I'm great friends with your mom and I'm in your dad's choir at FBC/J. I had no idea you had a blog but just happened upon it the other day after you'd commented on one of Rachel's posts on her blog. Your 'blog name' caught my attention, so I clicked on it and found myself reading about your adventures in CA. Small world...reading about something I'd already heard a bit about over time! WOW! I've spent a lot of time here tonight catching up on you. Sounds like you are doing great out there even in the midst of facing challenges at times. I am going to start looking for you in some shows since you mentioned the background work and stuff..how cool! I hope you'll continue to post about your life out there, what you're learning and what God is teaching you. I've added you to my bloglist, so I'll be checking back. I will be praying for you!