Friday, April 17, 2009

I'll stop holding you in suspense now!

Warning: This is an extremely long post. I apologize in advance, but I just wanted to cover everything to show how unbelievably sovereign Christ is!

I'll just start at the beginning. On Monday morning I was having a really difficult time handling questions and worries about my decision to move out to Los Angeles and whether or not I should move back home. It wasn't that I was frustrated with how things have gone out here thus far, I just wasn't sure what I really wanted to do or if the entertainment industry was even where I would want to have a career if the opportunity presented itself. I spent all of that day and night alone praying hard that the Lord would reveal His plan for me and make me receptive to His will. I prayed that if I was supposed to stay in LA then the Lord would show me in a radical way or that He would lead me to go ahead and move back home.

On Tuesday, since I hadn't been booked for extra work, I looked through Craigslist for different jobs (as I've done a lot lately... with no responses) and submitted myself to a few. I saw one posting for a band that needed a backup vocalist, so I sent an email with my headshot and myspace music site and asked to get more info on the position. About an hour or so later I get a call about my submission and how they'd really like me to come in to audition for the part of backup vocalist... that day. Because I'm a skeptic, and the add came from Craigslist, I asked a ridiculous amount of questions about the band/production company and spent some time praying before I finally agreed to come for an audition. Though they were somewhat guarded about the details, I found out it was a full-time, salary paid position that would involve being available whenever they needed me for practices and performances and involved some sort of contract with the production company that was in charge of everything. I figured I might as well go and see what it was all about considering my prayer requests from the previous day and the fact that I didn't seem to have any other hope for a steady job on the horizon.

Still somewhat leery of everything but feeling like God was doing something, I showed up at the house where the auditions were being held (super cool house with modern decor) and sang a couple songs. When I finished singing, the guys running the auditions told me that they'd love for me to be a part of the band if I'd like and that they would be having a rehearsal the following day (Wednesday) that I could come to so that I could meet the whole band and talk with the guy who started the production company. They also told me that if I decided to join the band then I probably wouldn't be able to sing in my friends' Josh Hausen and Laura Pearson's wedding in May... because we'd be in France. Yeah. That's not a typo. The band is scheduled to perform in France in May. What the heck?!?!

I told the guys when I left that I would think about coming to the practice tomorrow, but just wanted to pray more about everything and talk with my friends about the possibility that I would have to miss their wedding if I committed. Also, as I was leaving, the pianist in the group told me that about half of the band were Christians and he really thought there would be a good feel if I were to join. Only if you live in LA do you understand how amazing that is! It's not easy to find believers in the entertainment industry. In my car, I immediately called Josh Hausen and told him about everything. Of course, he was completely supportive of whatever decision I made while also making sure I knew how much he would miss me being at his wedding (if you know Josh, then you understand how incredible he is. I'm blessed to have a friend like him. His fiancee Laura is freakin' amazing, too. You should meet them). After talking to my parents and a few more friends (of course Jeremiah was one... he'll always be my manager and source of advice), I decided that I should at least go to the rehearsal the next day to really get a feel for the band and what they're doing.

Continuing to pray like crazy, I headed to the band rehearsal at 2:00 pm on Wednesday. I spent that day meeting the band and rehearsing a few songs with them. The band consists of an electric guitarist, bass guitarist, keyboardist, drummer, three background vocalists (including me) and a female lead singer, and they are ALL unbelievably talented! So freakin' good. Plus, the whole band was so friendly and welcoming, which is another thing you can't always expect in LA.

After rehearsal I was informed that we were all invited to attend a promotional party that night to meet various people that our "manager?" (I'm not sure what his title is. He's the guy who created the Rip Cord Production company and formed the band) wanted us to see. So, I went to that with the whole band and afterward we were taken to an incredible sushi place where dish after dish after dish of amazing food was brought out to us, and we got some time to just sit back and talk. At this point I really don't think I could process all that had happened and what was going on. It was like something out of a movie that surely I wasn't a part of. Pretty surreal.

I continued to go to rehearsals on Thursday and today, and I've had some good time to talk with the other band members and learn more about them and the band. Facts I've learned thus far...
1. All the band members are super talented and friendly (but I've already said that).
2. The band and Rip Cord Productions were started in January by the VP of the international division of Universal Music Group (the "manager" I mentioned earlier).
3. The band was actually booked to open for the U2 worldwide tour before their former lead singer cancelled and went back to Costa Rica for personal reasons.
4. One of the band's sponsors is E-Road, so there are about 9 or so of these at the rehearsal location. Go to www.e-road.com, and you'll see what I'm talking about and why that is so exciting. They're so much fun!
5. The band is booked to be one of the house bands at the Cannes Film Festival in France in May. Yes... this May!!!
6. I found out I might actually be able to go to Josh and Laura's wedding after all! Not sure, but it's not totally out of the question!

Needless to say, I'm extremely overwhelmed and excited about this opportunity, and I feel so incredibly blessed and humbled by Christ! I really feel that this opportunity is from Him, and I've decided to accept the job. Now I just pray that He will guard my heart and keep me strong in Him while making me a light for His glory to everyone I come in contact with! I ask you for your prayers now more than ever, and I pray that this makes you so excited about how incredible our God is! His plans are so much greater than we could ever imagine, and He is able to accomplish such incredible things when we fully surrender to Him! This is a wonderful opportunity, and I'm so thankful for it, but I must remember that my joy and worth come from the Lord alone! He has given me a huge opportunity to live for Him, and I trust He'll continue to guide and lead me!

I look forward to providing as many updates as possible (hopefully not as long as this one), and again please keep me in your prayers! Love and miss you all!

Robby

6 comments:

Lori said...

How good God is! I am so proud of you!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! Of course Josh and Laura would understand, but it would be cool if it worked out that you could do both...God really does have a plan for us and I'm so pumped he's revealing his for you. I'll be praying for you! Oh, and if they need a translator in Cannes, tell them you have a great friend that is very spontaneous. SO excited for you.

AshleyR said...

Blessings abound, cous!!
All the best...wooohooo!!
xo-Ash-xo

Phil said...

awesome bro. say hi to Christian Slater from me if you see him at Cannes :-)

Libby Moise said...

I'm so excited for you!!

J. Wade said...

Man that sounds amazing! I'll be praying for you and looking for the tour through Birmingham.