Saturday, September 15, 2007

Kittens... sweet, sweet kittens

So, I've been in Louisville, KY for the past week for work (and I'll be there for this coming week... I miss home), and one benefit of this out-of-town working experience is being able to see my sister, brother-in-law and nephew frequently because they live about 20 minutes from where I'm staying. I was able to spend the night at my sister's last Sunday night, and while I was in thier guest bathroom I smelled something really interesting. I looked everywhere for the source of the stench, and I couldn't find anything, so I just went to sleep. The next morning when I woke up, I went into the bathroom and heard something running around underneath the house in the crawl space. I told my sister, and she said that it was probably thier dog Lady. Then she told me that Lady was probably messing with the kittens that thier cat had birthed underneath the house. And the plot thickens. Considering that animals were being born beneath the floors of her house, I told my sister about the funny smell in the bathroom. About that time I realized that the smell was something I had smelled before... death. Yep. At that moment it was clear to me that the kittens had died under the house and were slowly decaying. To make sure, my sister and I went into the crawl-space with flashlights (well... Rebecca looked on from the entrance of the crawl-space while I crawled towards the back of the space) and, quickly discovering that the smell of death was too strong to take, I put my shirt over my mouth and nose as I approached two lifeless kittens. Sad, I know. Grabbing a shovel, I awkwardly scooped up the maggot infested bodies and carried them to a large grassy area far behind the house. I'm not exactly sure why I told you this story, but I found it odd enough to share.

Hoping you've learned to close the entrance to your crawl-space,
Robby

1 comment:

dwight castle said...

haha, oh robby. how i miss you. you make me laugh like no other and i want to you snuggle in bed with you again soon...